Villainess Brother Chapter 19

Chapter 19 : Territory Management I



In order to pave the way for career advancement and make Erina happy, I consulted with Sebas.

"Sebas, I want to squeeze......no not that, raise the amount of tax, but what I should do best?"

"You wish to raise the tax amount is it. In that case, the only choice will be to get involved in the management of the territory."

Well, of course that's how it will go.

"Would you like to take a look at engaging in management?"

"Is it okay?"

“Yes, in case Luke-sama wishes to manage the territory, Lloyd-sama has asked me to support him.”

"Oo!"

That's nice Father, you get what I'm talking about!

Therefore, promptly commence forth.

First of all, I was recommended by Sebas to inspect the territory, but I declined that.

As a former student and a governmental NEET, I can't do anything just by observing. [Tl note 1]

Cranbell territory consists of the production of vegetables and grains, as well as tourism.

Even if I, an amateur who has never worked part-time, opens his mouth, it will become a nuisance. It will also buy backlash.

To put it bluntly, he'll be a Bother-man. 

Because of that, I decided to ask the village chiefs from each of the four villages living in the Cranbell territory to come to the mansion and get their say.

The location is the reception room on the first floor.

Even though they were busy, I had four village chiefs come all the way.

Alto Village Chief, Jace Hael, who is in charge of production.

Rufran Village Chief, Ars Khan, who is also in charge of production.

Similarly, Remal Nabe, the Village Chief of Bolt Village.

Finally, Mari Hana, Chief of Mule village, who is in charge of tourism.

Only Chief Mari Hana is female, the other three are male.

Since they were the head of the village, I had imagined them to be a certain age, but everyone was all young in their 40s or so.

The change of generation was fast or so I thought, but it was just that the life span was short.

Although I say it's short, it's a story about commoners, and if it's those who lead affluent lives such as nobles and merchants, then the story will become varied.

There is a gap of ten to twenty years between the former and the latter, and naturally the latter, who lives a wealthy life, lives longer.

Their short lifespan is due to poor nutrition and hygiene.

Other significant factors are the lack of proper medical facilities or lack of money to receive satisfactory treatment for injuries or illnesses.

It is natural that there is a difference in life expectancy.

There is a need to talk including around that area too isn't it.

"Um......what is the reason why we were called today?"

Alto village chief Jace asked me a question.

Since I haven't told them why I asked them to gather yet, he can't help but wonder.

That's why I explained it concisely and politely.

"I'm thinking of raising tax revenue. I'm thinking of raising the tax from 30% of annual income to 70%."

"""Wha!?"""

The village chiefs raised their voices with surprised expressions. 

"Wait a minute! Does Lloyd-sama aware of that matter?" 

"Such seventy percent, isn’t it more than the previous lord?"

"It's the same as telling us to die!"

The village chiefs criticized me all at once.

"Father doesn't know. But I was left to be in charge of the territory."

"No way..... Lloyd-sama is? Where is Lloyd-sama? Please let us meet Lloyd-sama!"

The distraught village chief Ars.

Sebas, who couldn't stand watching it, rebuked me.

"Luke-sama, please stop making fun of the village chiefs."

"Sorry Sebas, I went too far with my antics."

I just wanted to see everyone's surprised faces see.

Reflection reflection.

"Sorry about everyone too."

Hearing the conversation with Sebas, the village chiefs felt relieved.

"I'm glad. So then 70% is a jest, isn't it?"

"Unnya, that is real."

"""Ee!?"""

The four of them are looking at me with faces like (Just which one is it!?).

"I will increase the tax revenue. But that's a story for the future, and I think I'll do it when the annual income of the people living in the Cranbell territory more than doubles."

"Double the annual income? Can you do such a thing!?"

This time in a good way the surprised village chiefs.

However,

"Even then, 70% is too much."

There are complaints.

Village Chief Remal's remarks are apt.

"For now, listen to my story," I said, and I explained how to use the 70%.

Breakdown of 70%

One-fifth of the seventy percent is to be put into the country. (This is the tax rate originally determined by the country and I can't change it arbitrarily.)

Use the remaining four-fifths for:

Build medical facilities and hire doctors and pharmacists. Use of facilities is free.

The establishment of schools and the training of teachers and the use of facilities are likewise free.

Dismantle the vigilante groups created in each village and hire professional guards.

It allows them to concentrate on their work.

When you are of old age, you will receive a certain amount of money every month. (Same mechanism as the pension in my previous life.)

These things were decided through discussions with Sebas.

There are many more if I go into detail, but for now, these are the four main ones.

First of all, move in the direction of achieving these four.

When the village chiefs heard this story, they looked each other in the eye and each showed a different reaction.

However, the final answer that came out is,

"I think it's good."

"Sounds good that is."

"Even though it will be fine if you were to tell us so."

All agree.

The talk of raising tax revenue was passed.

And finally, the main issue.

How do you double your annual income?

Come now, everyone, take out ye opinions and give me it!

↑ I think, but because it's not good to rely on others just to achieve my own objective, I'll be the first to give my opinion.

Precisely because it's an amateur, it produces a nice idea from an unexpected and oblique angle.

Everyone will be even more surprised when they hear this idea you know.

I put my elbows on the table, put my hands together in front of my face, assumed a man-who-can-do-it pose and said,

"I'm thinking of digging for gold."

"".........""

"".........""

Un, they are surprised alright.

Everyone is speechless with their mouths half open.

Gold coins are made from gold, and the value of gold is almost the same as before it was processed into coins.

All you have to do is dig up that gold from the Cranbell territory.

If you don't have money, then it's fine to just make money.

It's an idea that only a child (NEET), without a job in hand can have.

“Luke-sama, gold cannot be mined in Cranbell territory.”

"e, why?"

"Because there is no gold itself. Since the land in Cranbell territory is not in a geological feature that produces gold."

"Was that so"

"Yes."

"I see, well without the one just now then."

""Ha, Haa........""

My idea went without.

And finally, the main issue.

How can you more than double your annual income?

Come now, everyone, take out ye opinions and give me it!





TL: Maza Miya

Editor: Maza Miya

[Tl note 1: Governmental NEET (or shut-in) relating to the government. In this case a noble son is yet to be a feudal lord, but does still do tasks in being a noble son, an heir.]

[Tl note: The conversation between the village chief and Luke is not being told in an easy-to-tell-who-is-who way. They are not pictured with unique traits either, which makes sense because these characters only show up in this chapter and no more in the future.]

Comments